[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6989) Introduction + throughts on scoring.

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6989) Introduction + throughts on scoring.
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:32:29 -0800

Hi guys,

I'm not so sharp on the technical programming end of things just yet, but
I enjoy coming up with ideas for how to make things work better, etc.
Also, I've been playing various edditions of civ for like, a decade now,
and have wasted away countless hours pondering improvements and ideas.

Somebody on the freeciv IRC channel suggested this list serve as a place
to send off little ideas too, so I'm going to start doing that.  Somebody
let me know if there's a better place for it.  :-)

Also, a question: is it best to stick to one idea per e-mail?  I think
somebody told me that at some point.

Anyway, I'll start with a small thought I had the other day:

If the score were tallied by averaging out the happiness of your citizens
through the whole game, rather than just on the endyear, it would get rid
of the maxing out your luxury rate on the last turn thing, which strikes
me as kind of silly shinanagans.

Is there some worthwhile use for end-year luxury boosting that I'm missing?

I've also been thinking a little about other changes to how the scoring is
done, it seems like it's basically size + happiness + wonders.  That's all
well and good, but there's more to civ than size and wonders.  If other
things (infastructure, reputation) mattered in the score, they might
become a bigger part of the game, allowing for a bit more variety of
tactics.

--Zack