[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3foodbox (PR#6973)

Cc: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3foodbox (PR#6973)
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:04:59 -0800

----- Forwarded message from James Canete <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:41:16 +0800
Subject: Re: civ3foodbox

The patch modifies the foodbox size calculation function,
city_granary_size(), in common/city.c, so it reflects the foodbox size
changes present in Civilization 3.  In that game, the foodbox remains
at size 20 until the city requires an aqueduct to expand further, then
grows to size 40 until the city requires a sewer system, then grows to
size 60.  In addition to that change, I also changed food_weighting()
in server/citytools.c to reflect the new foodbox sizes.

Another change was a minor change to client/gui-win32/citydlg.c, since
in the win32 client the granary size was calculated completely
independently from the rest of the code.

All the other changes were the addition of a server variable,
civ3foodbox, to enable and disable this functionality.  In retrospect
I probably should've just tied to the civstyle variable and allowed it
to change to values between 1 and 3.

Anyway, since the addition of the new network protocol probably broke
the last set of changes I mentioned, I'll try and familiarize myself
with it and submit a better civ3foodbox diff later.  Or simply shift
it over to the civstyle variable as mentioned above.

btw, is it my imagination or does the code inconsistently refer to the
place where food is stored in a city as either a foodbox or a granary?
It's sort of confusing.

-James

----- End forwarded message -----