[Freeciv-Dev] Battle for Wesnoth

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David White <davidnwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Francisco Muñoz <fmunoz.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Battle for Wesnoth
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:33:23 +0100

[ Since I haven't found a general purpose list I cc the David and
  Francisco.]

I have found a little gem: Battle for Wesnoth. It is a turn based
strategy game on hexagons and open source. What makes this a gem is
that it looks very professional: there are good graphics, fx and even
good background music. I have to congratulate the authors. You can
even buy baby-bibs with the Wesnoth graphics on them.

I personally found the game a bit hard because of the campaign
mode. If you win a map with a lot of turns you get lower gold in the
next map and this makes the next map very hard.

It is programmed in C++ using SDL. There is a tutorial and the
campaign even with screens (animation+text) between the
campaigns. There is an AI.

The data format is quite interesting. It is a mix between the
ini-format we use and XML (so that it can be nested). And it also has
preprocessor commands. This looks like:

[scenario]
       [event]
        #ifdef EASY
                [unit]
                side=1
                type=Merman
                x=13
                y=18
                [/unit]
        #endif

The savegame consists of a start state and replay actions. This makes
a replay possible (something Freeciv still misses).

Why do I write this? Wesnoth can be used a goal where we may should
head for graphical and sound design. We may be able to tap some of the
creative graphical/sound resources. Last but not least we may draw
some ideas from it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"