[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#576) Wishlist: alternating unit movement

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#576) Wishlist: alternating unit movement
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:14:23 -0800

> [per - Tue Apr 29 21:22:08 2003]:
>
> Recording some opinions and information from previous discussions:
>
> Each player's turn to move his units is called her 'phase'. The word
> 'turn' should be reserved for game turns.
ok, but we can use the PACKET_START_TURN to start the 'phase' of a
player. when the client receives this it will:
update_unit_focus() /* it will find a unit because we've replenished the
units movements by now */
update_turn_done_state()
...etc
(the player does what it has to do)

> It is possible to manipulate the timeout to make games faster, and in
> particular alternating movement games. This can be done for example by
> calculating an average of the time it takes from a phase begins to a
> player presses 'phase done', and then giving more (non-cumulative)
time
> next turn to players who are fast, or less time to players who are
slow
> and never seem to find that 'end' button but prefer to eat cheese
doodles.

> Anyway. Team members may move simultaneously in the same phase. This
> increases speed, and allows game with many players but two teams to be
> played fast.
>
> In beginning of game (or immediately after changing game to
alternating
> movement), server sends an update to all players that their units now
> have zero movement points. Then for each player who begins her phase,
> send the real movement points. Once her phase is done, send another
> update setting all units to zero movement points. (For network
> efficiency, we may want to introduce a new packet to do this in one
> operation, however.)

do we have to send the real movement points? can't we invoke some
function in the client to know the unit movement poins?
I agree with the packet to reset unit movements.

ghfg