[Freeciv-Dev] Re: indexed palettes

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: indexed palettes
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:52:39 -0500

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:33:21PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

I just found out that isotrident and trident tiles.png have a different
number of indexed colours.

This means that graphics made for isotrident will not automatically
work fortrident.

Why? The graphic program should cope with this. I.e. transfer graphics
from one to the other in RGB mode.

Well, I am a newbie with gimp, but when I tried to copy&paste Daniel's
veteran icons from isotrident to trident tilesets, some colours were lost
in the copying. I noticed that trident had less colours, so I jumped to a
conclusion and complained - but I might be stuffing the wrong duck here.

And if you convert both to RGB first?

I agree, you should convert both to RGB form first if there are problems. I guess if gimp is stuck using the trident palette and you import an unavailable color, I suppose you'll get problems. So this probably applies to any importing of graphics into the tileset.

Originally Vasco pointed me to some palettes for trident and isotrident (or was it hires?). But later I just got Gimp to generate the palettes "optimally". So perhaps these colors were in the original trident palettes but were dropped by me.

As a side note, we could switch to RGB PNGs except (1) they are larger and (2) the XAW client requires indexed ones.

jason