[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6707) Announce server on LAN

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6707) Announce server on LAN
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:36:34 -0800

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:05:19AM -0800, Todd Goodman wrote:
> If supported, make the SIOCADDMULTI ioctl() call to add whatever
> multicast group we want to use that isn't the all-hosts (224.0.0.1)
> group.
>
> Then set the TTL to the configured value (default and usually 1.)

> Note that if you have multiple interfaces you really need to do an
> IP_MULTICAST_IF setsockopt() first to ensure it goes out the interface
> you want...

Do I understand this correctly that freeciv would have to the above
paragraph if multicast is used? Independent of what multicast group is
used?

If yes than I think that this is clearly too much. We can't touch the
interfaces of a system. You would need root privileges anyway.

So what about the alternative plan to use broadcast? Seems simpler to
me and will work with the case we discuss here (LAN). For the other
case (finding servers on the internet) we have metaserver.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The very concept of PNP is a lovely dream that simply does not translate to