[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4539) rules against smallpox (tutorials/nopox page

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: cskecskes@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4539) rules against smallpox (tutorials/nopox page)
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:27:16 -0700

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:10:52AM -0700, Juhani Heino wrote:

> > Therefore I tried to find another solution to the ICS
> > problem and I think I have found a "historically correct" one.
>
> The suggestions above are fascinating, I vouch for them.
> The reason why I'm in this thread is that I got my own ideas
> and now I don't have to start a new one:
>
> As Mike Jing suggested, no free city centre production anymore.
> But I go even further: you can't work it even with a citizen.
> (REALISM: hard to get raw materials inside a city)
> Perhaps you could encourage city growth by letting it produce
> maximum 1 food (depending on the terrain) but nothing more.
> (REALISM: home gardens)
>
> The 8 squares near the city suffer a -1 food penalty. Farmland
> (double irrigation) removes this, so it is more useful than now.
> (REALISM: city pollution, traffic needs)
>
> Every square has an index of exploitation, counted in a way
> that resembles visibility in fog of war. That means, if a
> square is used by two cities, it gives only half the production
> to each city, and so on.
> My suggestion of calculating this: let's say that cities are
> so densely that a square is used by 3 cities and its capacity
> is 1 food, 6 shields, 2 trade. First 1/3 food = 0, remainder 1.
> Add the remainder: 7/3 shields = 2, remainder 1. Now we luckily
> get 3/3 trade = 1. If the trade was 1, it would be 2/3 = 0.
> You can change the order if you want.
> At the same time, this would solve the "hogging" problem in
> CMA: every city gets its (although small) share and it doesn't
> care if another city uses the square or not.

I like idea for new ideas instead of the 1 + 20 fields modell for
a city.

Think we should collect them and implement some of them. So we get
different cityoptions.
One of them is the old civ-like.

But perhaps we should wait with that until gen-topology is ready.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.