[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5438) Starting position tidbit

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5438) Starting position tidbit
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:50:47 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Karen Yeats wrote:
[...]
> I would rather suggest a check against the amount by which dist was
> decreased in create_start_positions.  If it dropped 30% from it's original
> values, we can consider forests, 50% -- we will take good hills etc.
> Something along the lines anyway.
>
> G.

Note, hills get a food bonus and are thus equivalent to roadless plains
as starting positions. Forests significantly impact the initial growth
and can be suicide/stagnation starters for AI.

Hills should *always be valid starters, i.e. all food 2 or better tiles.

Only in desperate situations should food 1 tiles be considered.

This makes a better solution than thinking that you understand the ruleset
when it is user configurtable :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====