[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2406) In help, Rivers are indexed under mountains

To: juhani.heino@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2406) In help, Rivers are indexed under mountains
From: "jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:06:50 -0700

This patch was originally submitted 2002 Nov 25.  The bug refered to by this
patch is still present in freeciv CVS as of 2003 Aug 29.

This patch moves Rivers from being attached to Tundra (in the english version,
Mountains in finnish) to being attached to Terrain.  This bug only occurs in
the gtk2 and the xaw client.

It looks something like this in the english edition:
Before patch:
Terrain ->
  Desert
  .
  .
  .
  Tundra ->
    Rivers
After patch:
Terrain ->
  Desert
  .
  .
  .
  Plains
  River
  Swamp
  Tundra

This patch cleanly applies to cvs as of Aug 29 (offset 1 line) and fixes
the problem.

There were two comments in the original discussion.

The first comment proposed the solution of putting Rivers under
"Terrain Alterations".  This does not make sense since "Terrain
Alterations" refers to terrain alterations done in game by settlers and
engineers.  In the present game settlers cannot create rivers so they
should not be catagorized as terrain alterations.

The other proposed that a new group called "Terrain Types" should be
created and that all the actual terrain types should be added to that
group. Then a new group called "Terrain" should be added that included
Rivers.  I personally do not have a problem with having Rivers listed under
terrain so I think that this is more complicated than needs be.

Since this is still a bug, and no better patch has been proposed, I think
that this patch should be applied to CVS to fix the bug unless some
new objections are raised.

--
Josh Cogliati