[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5438) Starting position tidbit

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5438) Starting position tidbit
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:20:29 -0700

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> 1 (serious)is_good_starter presumes that SPECIALs have certain effect,
> like SPECIAL_1 in desert is always oasis with good food.This can be
> changed by rulesets!And all other code I know can deal with it flexibly.
> I suggest you base your mark on food & production values instead.
> Have a look at Per's new settlers patch somewhere on Freeciv-AI.

Maybe we should put the basic tile calculation function from the settlers
patch in common code, and use that here? Run it on the entire map and you
should have a pretty good idea of where the best starting positions are.

You could even sum the tiles of each continent to figure out which
continents are best. Hey, we could make the AI cheat by taking the best
continents! ;)

  - Per