Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: Astarot <astarot-mailbox@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:36:11 -0500

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 10:44:25PM +0400, Astarot wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > > Online mode is too expensive, modem connection is, as I suppose, hard to
> > > support... What about PBEM mode? That seems to be quite easy, only one
> > > option is to be added - a password on each nation in savegames.
> > Modem connections can be trivially turned into TCP/IP connections with
> > software like SLIP and PPP.  There should be literally hundreds of HOWTOs
> > for this on the Internet.  There is no reason whatsoever for any game to
> > have to support direct modem-to-modem connectivity.
>
> Well...
> In fact, I'm VERY bad in such things :( So can hardly understand what you
> mean. Could you send me directly to one of such HOWTOs? I would be very
> grateful if you do ;)

        Just to let you know, I haven't forgotten this request.

        From what I've been able to find, Windows 98 and 2000 and MacOS 9 and
most Linux distributions will have the correct software on the system
disks.  Windows NT 4 may or may not.

http://www.stanford.edu/~borchers/personal/psionara.html
        Discusses Apple Remote Access Personal Server

http://carlson-ne.home.attbi.com/ppp/reference.html
        Is a general PPP reference.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PPP-HOWTO/
        Is the Linux PPP howto.

http://www.iready.org/docs/win98ppp/
        Discusses Windows 98 as a PPP server.

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/155/10/3.html
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/386/13/6.html
        Discusses Windows 2000 with Routing and Remote Access Server.

        For all of these cases, you would simply set up one machine to answer
the modem and run the PPP server software, and the other machine as a PPP
client.  Dial in, and it should all work.  Getting this to work for more
than a single server and single client will probably be quite a bit more
intricate.  But this will allow two people to play head-to-head without
requiring specific modem support.