Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS HEAD + mingw32 + gtk2 + SDL_mixer buglets

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS HEAD + mingw32 + gtk2 + SDL_mixer buglets
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 02:51:43 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Good news: Current cvs does not flicker and speed is much better. Iso mode
> is still slower, but not by much, and it is now usable.

That is odd. I only applied flickering fixes to S1_14. Maybe Jason fixed
this or HEAD never had the problem?

> Bad news: Using SDL_mixer slows unit movement down again to a crawl (but

Is this .wav or one of those compressed formats like .ogg? If it is .ogg
and your machine is not meaty enough you may have the cause there.

I still think the best way to use sound is via callbacks. Just use the
SDL audio API direct and skip SDL_mixer.
At least nearly everything I have seen so far does it this way. This
means doing your own volume and sound mixing, etc and just passing the
raw audio stream when the callback is invoked. Fussy but inherently more
portable across audio APIs.

SCUMMVM does things this way for e.g.

> better than it used to be). Goto crashes client (known problem?). Windows

Yes I believe so. All those bug reports regarding client-side goto in HEAD
of late...

> not related to freeciv sometimes pop to the forefront when you close a
> freeciv popup window - VERY annoying, no idea why. Vasco?

Oh. That is odd. Does this happen when you close any window in particular?

> (I haven't tried the gtk2 client in S1_14 yet. Will do later.)
>
> Some warnings:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./include -I../common
> -I../common/aicore -I../intl -I./agents  -I/usr/local/include/SDL
> -Dmain=SDL_main    -g -O2 -Werror -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -mms-bitfields -c `test -f
> 'audio_winmm.c' || echo './'`audio_winmm.c
> cc1.exe: warnings being treated as errors
> ../common/log.h:72: warning: `logdebug_check' defined but not used
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./include -I../common
> -I../common/aicore -I../intl -I./agents  -I/usr/local/include/SDL
> -Dmain=SDL_main    -g -O2 -Werror -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -mms-bitfields -c `test -f
> 'civclient.c' || echo './'`civclient.c
> cc1.exe: warnings being treated as errors
> civclient.c:107: warning: no previous prototype for `SDL_main'

Include issue?

---