Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4256) Client Crash in CVS 17/05/2003

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4256) Client Crash in CVS 17/05/2003
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 09:27:40 -0700

Oops, my fault.  It's caused by the science_cost penalty.

To the reporter of the bug: could you provide backtrace please?

I never realised that this computation is done in the client as well.
There are few ways to fix this:

1. Pull out the patch.

2. Change the way the penalty is applied, now it is applied to the cost of
a tech, but we can apply it to the incoming bulbs via server/plrhand.c
update_tech.  But this is very crude, since the penalty will be applied on
city-by-city basis.

3. Add if (is_server) check to the calculation in tech.c

4. Send the handicap info to the client.  This is the cleanest way esp. if
we want to have hadicaps given to human players in the future too.

Comments suggestions and fixes welcome.

G.