Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4205) GTK warnings for gtk2 client

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4205) GTK warnings for gtk2 client
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:21:13 -0700

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:24:47PM -0700, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> [rfalke - Mon May 12 08:07:33 2003]:
>
> > I have installed gtk2-2.2.0.0.200301250412-0.snap.ximian.1. The error
> > from above is vanished.
> >
> > Now however I have slightly blurred fonts. This looks ugly on the
> > TFT. Probably anti-aliased fonts. Can I disable this somewhere?
>
> If you had the GNOME font preferences installed you could choose a
> grid which was suited to your LCD screen stripe pattern and
> it would look good.
>
> You can always do it by hand I guess:
> http://jmason.org/howto/subpixel.html
>
> Anyway if you want to disable font smoothing just set this variable
> before starting up the client:
>
> 'export GDK_USE_XFT=0'

I think this line
  font_name = "LucidaTypewriter,Monospace 8"
is wrong in freeciv.rc-2.0 because IMHO they don't support ","
here. Changing the first part to
  font_name = "LucidaTypewriter 12,Monospace 8"
also don't change the font.

Also I'm a bit lost the resolving of the fonts. If I disable Xft
/etc/pango/pangox.aliases is used?! If I enable Xft /etc/X11/XftConfig
is used?! But there has to be some missing since for the Xft case
there is no mapping to "x11 names". Or is this somehow not
needed. Anyway without Xft the help text looks ok
(good_without_xft.png) with

  font_name = "Monospace 8"

With Xft however it looks flawed (bad_with_xft.png). So how do I
change the Xft mapping so that it uses the same font?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Last year, out in California, at a PC users group, there was a demo of

PNG image

PNG image