Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] esr: Change Makefile.am so it doesn't ha

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] esr: Change Makefile.am so it doesn't have to list t...
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:33:15 -0500

Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Change Makefile.am so it doesn't have to list the nation files explicitly.
> > Instead, use $(shell ls -1 *.ruleset) to make the generated Makefile
> > compute the list dynamically.
>
> I'm curious how win32 and VMS and friends handle this change...

Er...we have a VMS port?

This only gets invoked by make dist and make install/uninstall, which
have a lot of other Unix assumptions (like the existence of an install
script) embedded in them.

Hm...$(shell echo *.ruleset) might be marginally more portable, being
a shell builtin under Interix & Eunice etc.  Not that I think this
case will ever come up, but maybe I'll change it anyway.

This change was another step towards making it possible to install nations
simply by dropping resources in the right places in the data tree.  My
patch 2934 (Eliminate an order dependency in ruleset loading) is also
relevant.