Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Splitting the tileset PNGs

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Splitting the tileset PNGs
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:36:25 -0600

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:52:49AM -0500, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> > 4. Because tile arrays are big lumps of binary data, merging in
> > incremental changes is hard.  The 12-nations patch is a perfect example
> > of the problems this causes.  I have his flags only as diffs to
> > an XPM.  To have any chance of recovering them, I'll have to figure
> > out what the version of his XPM has, retrieve it, apply patch(1)
> > and hope the result isn't garbage.
>
> Good point; ouch.

If the real problem is manipulations, why not split the flags and units up
into separate pngs, but keep the tiles in large files? It seems that we'll
need some sort of a specfile anyway... Units and flags are usually
manipulated separately (although somewhat tied to a tileset) but tiles have
complex spacing interdependencies (changing a part of a tile means usually
changing a lot of other parts). this way, people who want to add or remove
units or add nations can do so easily.

-mike