Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2290) [rff] onsetwar

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2290) [rff] onsetwar
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:16:39 -0800

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:58:09PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:

> I've done some more reading on this patch, and noticed more
> problems:
>  - The checks for whether a diplomat can perform an action must also be
> put in common/unit.c's is_diplomat_action_available()

Ok, i only looked at the players side, didn't test the serverside AI

>  - It conflicts year2turn patch, and we need to consider whether onsetwar
> should be given as turns instead of years.

Ok

>  - I don't like the change to pplayers_at_war() since it reports a wrong
> result: The diplomatic state _is_ war, but it says it isn't. This is bad.

I don't like it to ... but it was a kludge to get it to work :-)

>  - It conflicts with AI diplomacy patch in giving this new behaviour to
> pplayers_at_war(). The former patch expects this function to behave in the
> old way big time.

I didn't think about AI. Only about player against player.

>  - The AI has no idea about onsetwar without this hack.
>
> The solution to the pplayers_at_war() problem would be to prevent a player
> from getting to the DS_WAR state in the first place, and make AIs go to
> DS_NEUTRAL until onsetwar. However, then a way to set them to DS_WAR again
> when onsetwar elapses is needed.
>
> In some ways doing onsetwar after the AI diplomacy patch would be simpler,
> since it would give the framework to handle such an option correctly,
> since the AI knows about diplomatic states and how to change them. But
> that patch may take some time to finalize.

Think more important for that patch is a working borderpatch.

> Another solution is to let the AI skip onsetwar and attack freely anyway,
> but I suppose that would defeat part of the reason for the patch in the
> first place.

The patch has 2 purposes:
a) Giving weak players the chance to survife some time and settle land
in games against AI.
b) Not ending all games in wars with triremes and horsemen.

Think when i have time and:
AI diplomacy,
borders
year2turn
are applied i will try it another time.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: