Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2784) UI options / help text

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2784) UI options / help text
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:26:55 -0800

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 12:32, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT wrote:

> CVS 08 JAN 2003 Gtk 1.2
>
> Options /not/ passed to UI?
>
> chris@max:~> LANG= civclient --help
> Usage: civclient [option ...]
> Valid options are:
>   -a, --autoconnect     Skip connect dialog
>   -d, --debug NUM       Set debug log level (0 to 3)
>   -h, --help            Print a summary of the options
>   -l, --log FILE        Use FILE as logfile
>   -m, --meta HOST       Connect to the metaserver at HOST
>   -n, --name NAME       Use NAME as name
>   -p, --port PORT       Connect to server port PORT
>   -P, --Plugin PLUGIN   Use PLUGIN for sound output [none, esd]
>   -s, --server HOST     Connect to the server at HOST
>   -S, --Sound FILE      Read sound tags from FILE
>   -t, --tiles FILE      Use data file FILE.tilespec for tiles
>   -v, --version         Print the version number
>       --                Pass any following options to the UI.
>                         Try "civclient -- --help" for more.
>
> chris@max:~> LANG= civclient -- --help
> Report bugs to <bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

What is the bug here?

civclient --help does what you'd expect it to.

The UI accepts --help also.  I think this was supposed to print the UI
help text after the rest of the help.  But this never worked since
freeciv just exits after printing the help text.  So originally the UI
options would never be shown; now they're shown by "civclient --
--help".

It seems to me that "civclient --help" should print out the UI options
as well.  To get this there should be a ui_print_help() or similar
function that can be called when --help is specified.

jason