Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:20:08 -0800

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 04:56:00AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> > I liked the idea (that IIRC you mentioned)

No I didn't.

> > that the government type
> > should be chosen at the beginning of anarchy rather than the end.This
> > minimizes the number of random popups.

I'm for removing random popups. But actually I think this is the
*last* one to remove, not the first :)

> > But it is a gameplay change.If you changed your mind about the
> > government type you'd have to start a new revolution (at least the
> > design I have in mind).Packets would have to change, new capabilities
> > added, etc.It is not a trivial undertaking.

Yes. And not necessary. Just remove the default key bindings.

It might be that the game changes between start and end of revolution,
and I can make a better choice at the end.

> It can also be implemented in the client as a player-aid. Choose the new
> government as you revolt, and the client will automatically pick that
> government next time revolution is finished. This could be as simple as a
> submenu off the revolution item with each possible government as options,
> and a few changes extra lines around line 1264 in client/packhand.c.

Yes, an option to choose the government at the beginning is possible.

> Now, while we're at annoying pop-ups, how about nuking that historian
> popup? It always tends to pop up right over an important battle and I
> never read it anyway.

Are you sure? I see this 2, maybe 3 times in a game.

>   - Per

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/