Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 04:41:59 -0800

[ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Wed Nov 13 20:09:27 2002]:

> Stable CVS Gtk 1.2 ~10 NOV 2002
>
> This happened to a game-mate recently:
>
> While chatting, the "choose government" popup appears, and grabs
> the keystrokes. A <space> or <return> chooses Despotism.
>
> An expensive and frustrating mistake.
>
> We could
>
> - disable the keys for the popup at all
> - disable <space> and <return>, and add meta keys instead
> - someone wanted to make a new popup
> - ...

I liked the idea (that IIRC you mentioned) that the government type
should be chosen at the beginning of anarchy rather than the end.  This
minimizes the number of random popups.

But it is a gameplay change.  If you changed your mind about the
government type you'd have to start a new revolution (at least the
design I have in mind).  Packets would have to change, new capabilities
added, etc.  It is not a trivial undertaking.

jason