Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) backing rectangle for city descriptions in g

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) backing rectangle for city descriptions in gtk2 client
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 02:03:28 -0800

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 07:35:38PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:

> This patch draws a partially-transparent backing rectangle behind the
> city description text for gui-gtk-2.0.  Screenshots are at
> http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/citydesc/.

Looks nice. Maybe you can add a screenshot for trident tiles?

> The pixbuf manipulation to do this is a bit expensive.  It increases the
> execution time of show_city_desc() by about 75% on my system.  This is
> well worth it IMO.
>
> The color and level of transparency are easily adjustable in the code,
> but could be made theme values or local options.  It would also be easy
> to add a local option to toggle the behavior on and off.

I cannot test your patch, but there is a problem with redrawing with
city names, it happens very often. So I fear the slowdown could be annoying
on machines like mine. The map will flicker a lot, when redraw is often
_and_ slow. Solutions are

- fix the redrawing

- make your modifications optional, as you suggest.

Probably related is http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1303,

but maybe this whole issue is already fixed?

Related to #2643, I'd prefer
http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/citydesc/citydesc-2.png over
http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/citydesc/citydesc.png
(color change of the whole city name instead of only the "X")

> The bulk of the code changes are because show_city_desc had to be
> restructured.  It has to first calculate the dimensions of the text,
> then draw the background rectangle, then draw the text.  I also fixed a
> bug related to PR#2445.
>
> A side change, suggested on IRC, is that the city name is changed color
> along with the turns-to-grow.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/