[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2596) Re: Nondenominational calendar patch

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2596) Re: Nondenominational calendar patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:26:52 +0100

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:39:38AM -0800, Sam Barnett-Cormack via RT wrote:
> dunno if it's you mail client, but I had to get my editor to re-wrap
> that mail.
>
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, cameron@xxxxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
>
> > Here's a thought: why not have a bunch of different calendar systems,
> > and have them be nation-specific? The Romans based their calendar on
> > the foundation of Rome by Romulus and Remus, 2754 years ago (753 BC).
> > Christians base their calendar on the coming of Christ 2001 years ago
> > (1 AD), and Muslims base their calendar on the coming of Muhammad 1380
> > years ago (622 AD). The Jewish calendar appears to be based on the
> > formation of the world by God, 5763 years ago (3762 BC). (How
> > convenient.) Mayan dates are rather bizarre, but there exist tools to
> > decipher them <http://www.pauahtun.org/cgi-bin/gregmaya.py>.

I like this idea, but of course it would complicate game play.

david ben-gurion: /set endyear 6734
robespierre: are you crazy? I have classes to attend this week!
moses: sorry I'm a bit confused. what year am I in again?

Under the academia-only naming system I suppose we'd have "Formerly
Common Age", "Common Age", "Also, I mean, not also, but simply Common Age",
etc.

> While that would be very nice (user-configurable in the client would be
> best), it's rather a lot of work for one developer. You volunteering?

As long as I can play without them, do as you like ...

--
Reinier