[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2559) Forget one thing

To: bernd.korz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2559) Forget one thing
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:44:53 -0800

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 14:02, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:

> [bernd.korz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Thu Dec 12 14:46:06 2002]:
>
> > The problem ist that BeOS can not manage not staic bytes for
> Fonts so we
> > need fixed ones, but jdore can declear this better then me.
>
> So Jason please explain ;)

The problem is we don't know what the problem is.

iconv is used to convert the strings from latin2 (getenv("LOCALE") or
some such instead) to UTF-16 (which is used for display).

1.  BeOS's iconv returns each character in a reversed byte order from my
iconv.  However even when we manually reverse each byte before using the
string this changes nothing.

2.  If we hack the SDL client to use latin1 instead of UTF-16, then the
text is displayed properly.  Of course this is a hack, and we end up
getting a segfault very quickly.

3.  SDL_ttf's 'showtext' program displays text properly in both latin1
and UTF-8.  This program does not show text properly in unicode
(UTF-16), but looking at the source apparently it's not supposed to (the
text is entered on the command line, and you can't enter utf-16 on the
command line).  My showtext doesn't either.  BUT, Bernd's showtext shows
exactly the same characters under unicode that mine does.

From #3 I conclude the problem is not in SDL_ttf.  From #1 I conclude it
is not in iconv.  From #2 I conclude it is not in gui-sdl.

Yet it seems that one of these conclusions must be wrong...

jason