[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2408) Problem with diagonal roads and rails

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2408) Problem with diagonal roads and rails
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:21:26 -0800

[guest - Mon Nov 25 10:01:28 2002]:

> I will describe the issue for non-isometric tilesets, but I believe the
> same problem and solution would apply to isometric tilesets as well.

Yes.

> The diagram should show what I mean - the grey grid is meant to be a 4
> by 3 section of map, and the black parallel lines are railways.

Civ3 solves this in a slightly different way: the sprites for the road
and rail are slightly larger than a standard tile, so these extra bits
are included in with the rest.  However, I suspect this system would
require substantial changes to the drawing code (and even the drawing
design), whereas the system you outline looks very simple.

My only question is if there are any ruleset issues here?  Does the name
of the road/rail sprite get sent to the client by the server?  If so,
then that would also have to be taken into account and we may need
server changes with a new optional capability.

--

jason