[Freeciv-Dev] tilesets

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] tilesets
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:12:27 -0500

I've looked at all of the available tilesets, and I have some comments/questions.

* The .tar.bz2 for r-hires is corrupt. The .tar.gz works. But it is the bz2 file that is linked to from the downloads page.

* r-hires and FT have some _very_ nice terrain graphics (and some bad ones). But they use the confusing-though-pretty-because-they're-so-large hires units.

* Why are tilesets from 1.9.0 and before supposed to not work? They all seem to work for me.

* I took a screenshot of the terrain of each isometric tileset (with lots of mountains and hills). These are at http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/screenshots/.

* I also assembled a "new" tileset using isotrident, plus the hills from r-hires and the mountains from FT (which are also used in isoengels). There's a screenshot of that as well. I've attached the specfiles for this tileset - just drop them into your data directory, and make sure you have isotrident, ft, and r-hires all installed.

jason
[tilespec]

; Format and options of this tilespec file:
options = "+tilespec2"

; A simple name for the tileset specified by this file:
name = "MacroIsoTrident"

; TODO: add more overall information fields on tiles,
; eg, description, authors, colors, etc.

; Basic tile sizes:
normal_tile_width  = 64
normal_tile_height = 32
small_tile_width   = 15
small_tile_height  = 20

is_isometric = 1

; Font to use to draw city names:
city_names_font = "9x15bold"

; Font to use to draw city productions:
city_productions_font = "6x13"

; Should flags be drawn as transparent:  (else opaque)
flags_are_transparent = 1

; These are special because they get freed and reloaded
; as required:
main_intro_file    = "misc/intro"
minimap_intro_file = "misc/radar"

; Below, the graphics spec files; must be somewhere (anywhere) in
; the data path. Order may be important for color allocation on
; low-color systems, and if there are any duplicate tags (lattermost
; tag is used).
files =
  "isotrident/terrain1.spec",
  "isotrident/terrain2.spec",