[Freeciv-Dev] [patch] server hot restart

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] server hot restart
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 03:12:18 +0000 (GMT)

This is a continuation of my previous experimental patch to add hot
restart to the server (though I rewrote this one from scratch).

Now /quit works as expected (you quit the game completely at once) and
/endgame or end game conditions bring players into game over state until
all players have disconnected. (This way players can keep chatting after
game ends.) When all players have disconnected, the server restarts and is
ready to take new connections.

This should be useful for civserver.

I've tested it a bit, and it should fix the bug Chris reported against the
previous version. I am sure there are bugs, though.

The patch is ugly since it moves a lot of stuff around, and since it was
ugly anyway I took the opportunity to do style fixes on the code I was
moving ;) You must read the new and old code side by side to really see
what is going on, I suspect.

The change to quitidle, which just cuts all connections and forces a reset
of the server instead of quitting it, is completely untested.

I also believe I caught an initialization bug in city names code.

Testers very welcome.

  - Per