Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: core file on civserver, http://civserver.freeciv.org/g

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: core file on civserver, http://civserver.freeciv.org/games/44166
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:42:15 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

#20x4202a8c2 in abort () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#30x0806c76e in create_start_positions () at mapgen.c:1164
#40x0804e765 in srv_main () at srv_main.c:1943
#50x080499b1 in main (argc=10, argv=0xbffffc34) at civserver.c:153
#60x42017589 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

I haven't seen this one before. Jason, is this the same bug you reported a
while ago?

This bug is because starting placement of the players failed:

    if (counter > MAXTRIES) {
      freelog(LOG_FATAL,
              "The server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop "
              "in the allocation of starting positions, and will abort.\n"
              "Please report this bug at " WEBSITE_URL);
      abort();
    }

I'm not sure that there is anything we can do about this (even with a full rewrite of mapgen, it is always conceivable that the map will be too small for the number of players). But getting cores about it all the time isn't so useful either.

Perhaps the mapgen rewrite will addreess it.

jason