Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Cocoa port/cleanups

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Cocoa port/cleanups
From: Andy Black <blackaw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:16:35 -0700

Greetings all

After a long hiatus and an email address change, I'm back. 2-3 years ago I started on a port of Freeciv to the Mac OS using carbon. That project has been put on the back burner for the indefinite future. During that time, I've changed e-mail addresses.

Recently, I restarted my porting work, this time using Cocoa and Apple's interface builder. I've uploaded a copy of my testbed source for the client to http://www.geocities.com/chswizard/freeciv in a .tgz format. Be aware that the bandwidth limit on the site may prevent access on occasion.

The testbed is severely lacking in functionality, but does compile and run. You can connect to servers (but the server list is having issues) and use the chatline. You can see the explored parts of the map, move units (with some graphics problems) and issue orders to units. Cities can be built, but the city dialog is less than functional.

I found that I had to rename the attribute.c/h files in the client directory because I was getting undefined symbol errors when compiling the client under Project Builder. As best I can tell, Project Builder is getting confused and using the wrong attribute.h file for compiling some of the client files. The changes to the agents code is attached as attribute.diff.

I think I found some changes that need to be made to the gui-stub so that it will compile. Those changes are in gui-stub.diff. I haven't tested compiling with the changed code.

The changes in common.diff are things that I had to do to the common code to get the client to compile. At this time, the testbed probably won't compile using standard makefiles. When I get the client to a more useable point (I.e. most of the dialogs work) I'll consider trying to get it to build using makefiles. I'm in school, so I don't have much free time to work on side projects such as Freeciv.

Andy Black