Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: compile errors on bitvector code with Sun cc (PR#2046)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: compile errors on bitvector code with Sun cc (PR#2046)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:05:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jason Short wrote:
> The problem is Sun CC, at least, doesn't support variadic macros
> (variable options in macros).For freelog there's an "#ifdef __GNUC__"
> check, with a static function declared in the header for other compilers.

> As I understand it, the reason it's important to have this code be
> macros/inlined is that there are a LOT of freelog calls throughout the
> code, and most of them can be optimized away

The problem itself can be optimized away. Since all developers use gcc,
and only developers watch these log messages, we can add gcc to the list
of development tools that are needed to program for freeciv, and #ifdef
__GNUC__ the macros. You will need the rest of the GNU toolchain
(automake, autoconf, gettext, etc) in order to build from cvs anyway.

 - Per