Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/Suggestion

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea/Suggestion
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:18:34 +0200

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:41:23PM -0400, Michael Bego wrote:

> Description II
> Players see server options that list schedules of availability, (for
> example M T W 8PM-2 AM, that is a game that is playable Monday, Tuesday,
> Wednesday from 8-2). The player can look through options of acceptible
> schedules and pick ones that work.

This would be very nice to have, but I don't think it would work.
I have *never* managed to resume a game of Freeciv, even after elaborate
appointments with the other 3 players involved.  Even when you promise
to restart the game right away and proceed to do so, you often lose
a couple of players.

[...]

> Realistic aspect
> Playing through a full game is very challenging, especially when you
> (still) have a life/job. This would make the game significantly more
> playable for many people.

Yes.

> How to do it
> Need to be able to save games and have players enter permissions to
> re-logon. I believe the logic and execution of the time limit could be
> straightforward. Xandros could host some servers.

That is a nice offer.

We already have servers at civserver.freeciv.org, and a restart feature
is planned.  Its immediate purpose is crash recovery, but this would
be another useful application.  Once the restart function is implemented
we can see how often it is used.

--
Reinier