Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 11 Sep.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 11 Sep.
From: Bernd Jendrissek <berndj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:16:29 +0200

In article <20020912100718.GD3291@falcon.localdomain> Rafa³ Bursig
<bursig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dnia 2002.09.12 11:58 Martin? Untals napisa?(a):
>>
>> loads of american wonders already.

Well, how about more non-american wonders?  See below for examples.

>Primo: to remember those peoples
>
>Secundo: For Fun in game ( I know in this moment this is ... )
>                I always want wonder which work like "colossus" and
>wont be obsolete.

Of course, if you want to be historically accurate, you'll need a wonder
(anti-wonder?) to represent the power that terrorist cells wield.  Or maybe
a tech, "Suicide attack".  Required for kamikaze pilot (new unit), as well
as for "charismatic influence" - a new skill for spies that allows them to
"train" a partisan (or maybe any existing unit) into a willing suicide
killer able to destroy world wonders.  I don't know how you'd keep the
game balanced as well as realistic.

OTOH maybe you can "upgrade" the Colossus to the WTC by researching, say,
"Tubular steel skin construction".

BTW I kept our local newspaper from 2002-09-11; it has a tribute by the
paper to all the victims.  It features the names of victims in small type,
set in a pattern to resemble the now-missing towers.  (Or is it the figure
"11"? - Dunno, there must be a conspiracy theory in there.)

The image probably carries more significance for a NY'er than for me.  I'm
be willing to mail the newspaper to anyone who wants it.

Die Voortrekkermonument
=======================

Built as a monument to the Afrikaner Voortrekkers who made their voyage in
the mid-19th century into the South African inland, coming into conflict
with the black tribes that, by then, had also settled in the area.  Whatever
its original purpose, the monument came to symbolise the Apartheid
Government and the oppression of blacks.  Obviously a great rallying venue
to whip up emotions about the imminent danger (black communist terrorists
who only wanted to kill us, they said).

Reduces unhappiness due to out-of-town armies (families believe their sons
are protecting them from evil, not just playing wargames at the behest of
politicians).  With no out-of-town units, +1 elvis.

Of course it only works in the first republican regime of the nation.  And
building it sets a time-bomb: in N turns your government is overthrown!

Negotiated Settlement
=====================

After a historic speach by former president de Klerk, in which he announced
the release of Nelson Mandela, it became increasingly obvious the all the
sides would have to sit down and talk.  It was also clear that the days of
the incumbent regime were numbered, and they might as well hand over power
to a democratically elected government peacefully.  This set the scene for
negotiations between the Apartheid government and liberation movements; a
new constitution was drafted that was accepted by all (except for the
extremists - but they weren't talking anyway).

Allows transition between governments without anarchy.  Also restores the
reputation of the player.  Upon completion, all other nations donate 10% of
their gold reserves (this hasn't happened to the scale one would have hoped,
hint hint, nudge).

Western Deep Levels (must check up on the name)

The deepest mine in the world.  Full stop.  BTW a gold mine.

Quadruples (or more) gold production in all cities within a 5-square radius.
Come on, must be obsoleted by *something*.  Fusion power?

bernd

--
berndfoobar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is probably better to bookmark than any
employer-specific email address I may have appearing in the headers.