Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Sep 2002 10:20:11 +0200

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 12:07, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> > > I've changed my mind about this patch. I don't like what it does, and
> > > would prefer freeciv is kept away from this civ3ism. Hence I will not take
> > > this patch despite what I wrote in the patchlist.
>
> > If no maintainer 'like' a feature, and thus no of them take care of it
> > (applying the patch) that feature will never be into Freeciv?
>
> I should rather have said "don't think it is a good idea" instead of
> "don't like it", but if all maintainers think the patch is a bad idea,
> then it won't get into cvs. Obviously.

Yes, but I hope that also the opinion of the whole base of users/developers,
has its value...

> > Anyway, on the killstack concept, I don't like it much, too.
> >
> > BUT, if the patch is well done (code style rules) and it is configurable
> > as an option (as it seems from your post) I don't see any valid reason
> > to not having it applied to CVS, eventually in a somewhat distant future
> > we will have also a civ3 compatible mode, but for the moment this is not
> > the case.
>
> Code style isn't the only criteria for if a patch is good. There is also
> how much it impacts on speed, game complexity, option creep, code
> maintainability, AI programming and so on.
>
> The killstack option will not go well with the AI. And it is not a cost
> that I see weighted up by its benefits.

Well, this seems to me a good reason (that anyway has not prevented
other features to be introduced in the code), thus my opinion is to
delay the introduction of this patch until the AI code has been
cleaned (the coreai set of patches) and after the code is somewhat
stable and clean, who is interested in this feature can try to code it
and to let the AI understand how to work with this feature.

Again, I don't like that feature, but it has been introduced in civ3,
and many of the civ3 players consider it an improvement.
Delaying it when the AI is more mature is *VERY* different in respect of
saying 'it will not go in'.

my 2 cents.

> Yours
> Per
>
> "I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
> television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
> -- Jello Biafra

        Ciao, Davide