Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: About the iranian flag

To: Keyvan Monchi <kmonchi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: About the iranian flag
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:37:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Keyvan Monchi wrote:
> Just en idea! I have changed the iranian flag, because the actual flag
> is just political (from 1979), and I think it is better to take a flag
> wich does not conflict with any political discussion. The flag I have
> made is just the 3 colorsflag without any imperial or mollahs sign!
> This flag was used from the 19th century, so I think this one is more
> representative about Iran (have not any kind of ideology sign)...

Unfortunately, all flags and decisions made about them are political. In
Freeciv, AFAIK all modern nations have modern, latest version flags. To
make an expection for Iran would mean the Freeciv project takes a stand
against the current regime, and while I personally sympathise with that, I
do not feel it would be appropriate for us as a project.

Actually I think we should move away from using flags and instead use
coloured rings at the bottom of the unit tile. I've seen other projects
use that (forget which at the moment) and it looked better than flags
(less obtrusive). It also makes things simpler for us (no more political
flag issues, no problem with inventing flags for non-real modpack nations,
no hassle updating the flags xpms/pngs, no more similar-looking flags,...)

Yours
Per