Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercos

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:15:30 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:

If we want to make buildings not irrelevant, we should make them better. I
have already suggested doubling science bonuses of all buildings and
doubling research cost. If this is not sufficient, this can be combined
with giving most units gold upkeep and doubling buildings' tax bonuses. If
_that_ is not sufficent, we can require that very advanced units like
tanks, mech inf etc are built in cities with adequate mass production
facilities (ie factory), that diplomats require Courthouse, or ...
something, you get the idea.

You can't have one cityimprovement for all unittypes so there are
allways good units which could be build without the building.

Quick suggestion that would pretty much kill ICS:

<snip>

Any system like this would have to rethink how obsolete units are handled.

I would say that if you have the technology to build warriors and phalanx, but do not have a barracks (necessary for phalanx) the warriors should be available to build. Otherwise things just seem broken. This may or may not be difficult to implement.

Looking over the list of requirements you propose, this issue would come up for just about everything. You can't have it such that discovery of the caravel makes all of your cities incapable of building ocean units...

jason