Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv po file problems

To: Egbert Hinzen <egbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Deutsche Freeciv Übersetzer <freeciv.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv po file problems
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:33:33 +0200

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, egbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, egbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> > None of them are errors!
>
>> Yes, they are.  Even disregarding the ones where you have
>> deliberately left out format-specs, the warnings about "not a valid
>> C format string" are valid errors.  The fact that it currently
>> seems to work ok is not a reason not to fix them.
>

> Look at the "not a valid C format string"-lines:

[snip]

> 'msgstr' is legal.  The fatal warning is caused by not counting the
> first two '%s' and not using the third one. Only the fourth must be
> counted because it's on a different position.

Nonsense.  From the Glibc docs:

--8<--
   In more detail, output conversion specifications consist of an
initial `%' character followed in sequence by:

   * An optional specification of the parameter used for this format.
     Normally the parameters to the `printf' function are assigned to
     the formats in the order of appearance in the format string.  But
     in some situations (such as message translation) this is not
     desirable and this extension allows an explicit parameter to be
     specified.

[snip]

     If any of the formats has a specification for the parameter
     position all of them in the format string shall have one.
     Otherwise the behavior is undefined.
--8<--

Just because it happens to work for you on your system doesn't mean it
will work in the future or anywhere else.

You could have saved both yourself and me a lot of time by just fixing
this buf, rather than arguing on dubious grounds that it isn't one.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Place me on a BUFFER counter while you BELITTLE several BELLHOPS