Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: synchronized movement!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: synchronized movement!
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:55:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Franta Sailer wrote:
> A great way to make freeCiv superior to Civ2 and even Civ3 is to have
> synchronized movement!
>
> during your turn, you would tell your units where to go, and an arrow would be
> placed there...then, once everyone has done their turns, all the moves would
> happen simultaneously!
>
> This would make strategy a lot more fun, because you would try to predict
> where your opponent is going, and vice versa.. and to prevent peopl;e from
> runnning around your maps without you being able to catch them, you could set
> your units to attack a unit if it comes beside them...

There are quite a few design problems here that need to be dealt with
first. For example, which units move first. Or what to do if one unit
moves in and blocks a later unit's path with zone of control. Also
micromanagement like operating settlers, moving a ship to shore and
boarding it, diplomats, caravans, etc, will be a nightmare.

Yours
Per