Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Maximum map size (was: Re: win32 client compiling troubles

To: Christian Stock <cstock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Maximum map size (was: Re: win32 client compiling troubles)
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:20:30 +0200

Christian Stock writes:
 > Here's the map.
 >
 > Cheers, Christian
 >

 > At 08:18 PM 30/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:
 > >On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:27:41 +1000
 > >Christian Stock <cstock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >

 > > > I got hacking into the win client, because it can't read my huge map,
 > > which
 > > > is 320x180 (and there's no way I can make the map smaller, wouldn't work
 > > > with the scenario I'm writing). Would it be hard to fix that?
 > >Can you send me your map? Perhaps then I can find out why the client
 > >cannot read that map.

That seems not to be a win32 problem.
from common/map.h:
#define MAP_DEFAULT_WIDTH        80
#define MAP_MIN_WIDTH            40
#define MAP_MAX_WIDTH            200

#define MAP_DEFAULT_HEIGHT       50
#define MAP_MIN_HEIGHT           25
#define MAP_MAX_HEIGHT           100

I don't know this part of the code very well.
IMHO the network protocol cannot handle such large maps (I got the
info by grepping through the source) so changing the maximum map size can lead
to problems.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade