[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv documentation project

To: Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv documentation project
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:11:19 -0700

scripsit Brandon Craig Rhodes:

> And indeed the Game Manual has now been edited and rewritten.
> Everyone is welcome to review the first draft of my effort at
>
>         http://ten22.rhodesmill.org/civman/game.html

Brandon,

I haven't had opportunity to review the content of the new manual, but I
have a couple of initial recommendations from a Web development
standpoint:

1) The DOCTYPE you specify (3.2) doesn't match the level of HTML you're
using.  The HTML looks like HTML 4 Transitional.  If you validate the
code [1], it will complain about things that aren't in 3.2 but are in 4.
I suggest using the following:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>

This will make the pages valid.

2) Web accessibility considerations mean that you should avoid things
like BGCOLOR, in preference to CSS.  See the W3C Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 1.0) [2] for detailed information.  An
easy change for your pages would be to strip out all instances of
BGCOLOR, and link an external style sheet with the rule

body {
  background-color: #[color value];
}

I can explain all this (the accessiblity stuff) at more length if you're
unfamiliar with the concepts.  In short, in the U.S., Federal civil rights
legislation (Americans with Disabilities Act) requires that accomodation
be made for users who are blind or have other disabilities.  Other
countries (Australia, and the EU inter alia) have similar legal
requirements.  (Web accessibility is a lot of what I do for a living.)

3) I would recommend avoiding &mdash; in favor of &#8212; because NS4
can only understand decimal numeric references to the punctuation
characters like that.  If you address em dash, en dash, typographical
quotes, etc., with 8200-series decimal references, it seems to work in
NS4 and all modern browsers (including Lynx!).