[Freeciv-Dev] Re: SPAM in the Mailing LIST - A proposal ...

To: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:52:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Thanasis Kinias wrote:

> scripsit Davide Pagnin:
>
> > Perhaps I'm not the first to say this and perhaps may of you don't
> > bother to this continuos spamming on the list, but for me, is very
> > annoying...
>
> Absolutely!
>
> > Thus I want to suggest to make the list closed, so that only subscribers
> > can post to ML (I'm suggesting this only for the development and AI ML).
>
> and freeciv-data, too.
>
> I cannot believe that this is anything other than oversight.  Is it
> possible that anyone prefers to receive spam?

I'm sure not, but IIRC, we receive a nontrivial quantity of non-spam from
non-subscribers.  Before I joined, I spent a little while reading the
web-archive daily, and even posted a few things.  I subscribed when I
got tired of the delay.  I don't think I'm the only one to do something
like that.

I think it's important to keep the developement process welcoming to
all.  Surely there's a less destructive way to catch spam?

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."