[Freeciv-Dev] Re: compiling on Solaris / the continuing story of GNU get

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: compiling on Solaris / the continuing story of GNU gettext (was: cvs snapshots)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:28:21 +0100

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:15:23PM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> this is interesting and worrying that it's so much trouble to compile on
> solaris, but what does this have to do with tarring up the source code
> and/or the the diff from the previous day and updating some html? (or am I
> missing something big...)

I can actually make it a lot easier, even on the same machine.
What makes it hard is my policy of making sure that absolutely
nothing is used that I don't specifically include.  This is to
test Freeciv's minimum requirements, but I do it with all software
I compile to minimize unexpected library version dependencies.
As a consequence,

  + Sun make and Sun cc are used
  + nothing that doesn't come from Sun is used by default
    (including everything GNU)

The only real problem you saw was the use of setenv()
in the GNU gettext test.

--
Reinier