[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Bool cleanup of options.c

To: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Bool cleanup of options.c
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:54:39 -0600

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:00:14AM +0000, Ben Webb wrote:
>       I'd be surprised[*] if char were faster than int, but it'd be
> interesting to see this nonetheless.
>
> [*] For example, glib uses "int" as their gboolean type, and I'm (perhaps
>     foolishly) assuming they've looked into this kind of thing.

        That's going to be hardware dependent.
        On M68K, i386 and i486, and other older hardware, it's certainly
faster.  The 8-bit and 16-bit data quantity instructions take fewer clock
cycles to execute than the 32-bit instructions.
        On Alpha, it's certainly slower.
        On Sparc/Ultrasparc, ARM, PentiumPro/P3/P4/K6/Athlon/flavor of the
day, etc, I don't really know.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."