[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] "turns-to-grow" on the map overview

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] "turns-to-grow" on the map overview
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:58:42 +0100

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:21:31AM -0500, Jason Short wrote:
> Civ III shows the city's "turns-to-grow" on the map overview, like:
>
>      XXX
>      XXX   <-- city
>      XXX
>    CityName 5
> SomeProduction 7
>
> where 5 is the turns-to-grow and 7 the turns-to-build.  The only way
> this really differs from freeciv is that the turns-to-build is shown.  I
> found it very helpful to see.
>
> Here's a patch that adds this feature to freeciv by adding a new
> function, get_city_mapview_name, to mapview_common, and changing the GUI
> code to use it.
>
> I also introduce a new function, city_turns_to_grow, in
> common/city.[ch], and change the GTK city dialog to use it.  I've
> changed the xaw and gtk frontends.
>

> Issues:
>
> - It's controled by the draw_city_productions option (of course,
> draw_city_names must also be enabled).  This is better than nothing IMO,
> but still not ideal.

An extra option?

> - Shrinking cities are a bit tricky.  In the GTK citydlg, they're shown
> in red to symbolize the shrinking.  With the mapview as a backdrop, this
> wouldn't work so well (it would also require lots of gui-specific code).
>   So instead I use [N] for a city that will _shrink_ in N turns.
>
> - Differentiating blocked and never-growing cities is a bit tricky.  I
> use "X" for blocked cities and "-" for never-growing ones.  (I believe
> CivIII just used "-" for both.)
>
> - The city names are drawn in a bigger font than the city productions.
> This is a bit odd when the growth is included in the city name.
>
> - Since city names can have numbers in them, this could get a bit
> confusing.  For instance we could have "Paris 2" (Paris, 2 turns to
> grow) and "Paris 2 -" (Paris 2, no growth).

It is possible to use another font for this one. We already do some
width and height calculations. If the grow string is drawn separately
it is also not a problem to use a different color.

> - City descriptions aren't updated when citizens are moved around.  This
> is probably related to the bug whereby the mapview isn't updated when
> citizens are moved around (so if you have the city grid shown, it won't
> be updated).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After