[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext undefined during make (PR#1238)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext undefined during make (PR#1238)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:34:01 +0100

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:14:27AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:46:17AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > > Doing './configure --disable-nls && make' compiles and runs fine.
> >
> > Short answer: upgrade your gettext package to 0.10.38 or above.
>
> This means autoconf should test for the right gettext version.

Yes.

> > Long answer: This is a bit more complicated. The whole gettext stuff
> > is divided into the two parts: functions(dcgettext and co) and
> > binaries(xgettext and co). Note that gettext and ngettext are both
> > functions and binaries.
>
> The "missing msgfmt problem" reported earlier is another manifestation.

Yes.

> > The function part is included in the glibc. If you don't have glibc or
> > the glibc hasn't the correct version you can the use the functions
> > which came with freeciv (which are of version 0.10.38).
>
> Most platforms don't come with glibc.
>
> > The binaries for gettext 0.10.38 aren't included in freeciv (which is
> > annoying but no other project ships them).
>
> Binaries can't be shipped, they're platform dependent.

Come on. I know that you know that I means the source for the programs.

> However, I think the distinction is really a different one, namely, a part
> of gettext is required at use time (this is the part that many software
> packages, including Freeciv, include with the distribution) and another
> part is required at translation time (this is the part that contains
> binaries and that we keep having trouble with).

Yes. Same separation but a different view.

> > The recently introduced PL_ macro uses the plural format and this
> > format is only implemented in gettext 0.10.38 or above. So you can use
> > --with-included-gettext to get the functions but have to provide
> > 0.10.38 binaries.
>
> For translators, yes.  As far as I can see, this means there should be
> two separate checks: one for a compilation process that only needs to
> produce an intled Freeciv, and another for a compilation process that
> involves the creation of new translations.  The first one should check
> with the system-distributed gettext and see if it can be used; however,
> the included gettext should always be good enough.  The second one should
> check, and require, that the translator-specific part of gettext (which is
> not included with Freeciv, so it must be installed on the host) can be used
> for active translation.  This second check is part of 'maintained mode'.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes. As far as I know. Problem is we don't have a maintained mode. All
devel or beta versions (versions the people get via CVS/version which
doesn't have the gmos) should do the extra checking.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a