[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Update to The Freeciv Game User's Guide - 2.1 T errain

To: 'Gregory Berkolaiko' <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Martin McMahon' <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Update to The Freeciv Game User's Guide - 2.1 T errain
From: Peter Cock <P.Cock@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:36:34 -0000

Thanks to Gregory and Martin for their feedback.
There are still quite a few points that need checking.

I will add transforming ocean into swamp.
Does this take 24 turns like other transformations?

(I hadn't seen this - must upgrade my home machine
to play something newer than Civ I and Colonisation!
I used to play FreeCiv at university - and I
shouldn't really play at work)

> Are you sure that movement in jungle takes only 1 movepoint?

Well spotted - that was a transcription error on my part.

> You should probably also mention that all stats are changeable via
> rulesets.

Will do

> > Hello to who ever is interested/owns the manual.

Does no one claim ownership?  I guess in a few days time
(after any more feedback) I should just ftp it to the
incoming directory and see what happens?

> > Points to clarify:
> >
> > What is the name of the second swamp special (spices?)

Gone for Spices in the next draft.

> > Is there a more specific name for the Tundra "Game"
> >
> > Is there a more specific name for the Forest "Game"
> >
> > Can Tundra be irrigated, and how long does it take (old
> > manual said no, introduction says yes).
> >
> > Has there been a significant change to rivers since the
> > manual was written? It treated rivers as a separate terrain
> > type and says that they cannot be mined or transformed.

Martin says rivers cannot be mined or transformed.

What terrain supports rivers?  Grassland, plains only?
In which it makes sense not to allow transforming.

I think Civ III supported rivers on all terrain including
hills and mountains.  Of course, on Civ III, rivers are not
on squares but on the boundaries between squares.