[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changing interface for generate_warmap (PR#1108)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changing interface for generate_warmap (PR#1108)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:09:22 -0800 (PST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 05:57:31PM +0200, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Dammit, the attachment is broken again.
> > Trying from a different address.
> >
> > The patch is updated to todays CVS.
>
> So what is the status of the patch? Do you have an updated version?

If I remember correctly, you insisted that the change in interface should
be done together with removal of all old warmap uses.  I felt that this
project requires not only a lot of work (which is ok) but also a
long-term commitment (due to average time of a patch acceptance being
quite long).  I am afraid that I cannot take up the responsibility right
now, it's a rather hot time for me.

However if you consider applying the patch as is, i.e. leaving the
possibility of global warmap too, I will update the patch and change the
names of the variables to please everyone ;)

> Besides the discussion about the interface I have also other
> questions:
>
> > +  /* find_the_shortest_path corrupts warmap, cannot be recyled */
>
> Why? Can't this be fixed?

Warmap gives the approximate distance to all accessible locations.
When you look for shortest path though, you
1. Take into account more than just geography
2. Having found your destination, you stop

Thus it is two different functions which use same global variables.

> > int land_recycle, sea_recycle; /* are corresponding map recyclable?
> */
>
> Aren't these fields more like a "land_map_is_valid"/"sea_map_is_valid"?

I agree your name is better.

G.