[Freeciv-Dev] Re: gen-impr stuff

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: gen-impr stuff
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:50:07 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, andi payn wrote:
> First, I added in all of the effects that weren't handled, and changed a few
> of them around (I don't think pollution adjustments are supposed to be
> additive, for example), and that's mostly done.  I also added some of the
> missing things (like reactor meltdowns).

Nice. But how do you handle the pollution adjustments then? Merely pick
the higher one?

> Then I dug into the AI, and rewrote all of the code to look at effects
> rather than improvements.

Excellent! This is _really_ useful.

>  The goal is that the AI will work exactly the
> same as before with standard rulesets, and won't be horribly unintelligent
> with new/modified buildings.  It almost works, except that it doesn't quite
> understand accumulating Make_Content effects properly (which causes some
> noticeable flaws), a variety of little things that don't seem to noticeably
> harm the AI haven't been verified, and a few effects that weren't used, or
> were only used together with a more important effect, aren't considered the
> way they probably should be.  But anyway, the AI usually chooses good
> buildings to build and estimates danger reasonably, and that's the most
> important part.

This will presumably be much easier to fix after the ai cleanup crew have
finished their work.

> The problem is, like a complete moron, I did all of this in the same code
> base I was making other changes in (and had applied other patches to)

Ooops.

> Meanwhile, if anyone wants to see what I've done, play around with it, steal
> some of my ideas and redo them properly, or even help separate out the code,
> I'll be glad to make my entire tree available to anyone who's
> brave/stupid/unemployed enough to look at it (as a tarball, or as one
> massive patch). It is playable, and fun, as-is.

Sure. Can you upload it as a huge patch to freeciv incoming ftp?

Yours,
Per

Action expresses priorities.
 -- Mohandas Gandhi