[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC (was curiosity)

To: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC (was curiosity)
From: Adam Gregory <Adammgregory@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 15:40:39 -0300

How about going for an object oriented approach for version 2? It might be easier to create custom units if a modular approach was used with their abilities, and multiple inheritence. Kind of like how units are designed in the workshop in AC, it'd be nice to be able to inherit a sea settler from a settler class and a ship class. That could make it easier for people to modify the code for their own branches of the the game, and would make the units less hardcoded into the game, which was a complaint that's been brought up recently, I think. Of course using an object oriented design would have many other implications, the units are just what springs to mind for me. Are there enough C++ hackers in the regular contributors to make it worthwhile? I know I'd like to help however I can. I'm new to freeciv-dev so please don't flame too hard if my ideas are stupid!
--

The twin evils of an indifferent God and the spiteful force of gravity.