[Freeciv-Dev] Re: topology RFC (again)

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: topology RFC (again)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:43:57 -0500

Jason, the only fallacies are the ones you keep dreaming up. You
can't keep redefining things so the world is theoretically broken, or
misinterpreting them in twisted ways just to try and show something
is wrong that needs your solution, or expect that that carries back
as proof that reality is out of sync with you.

To quickly summarize the key points ...

The unnormalize example used a rectangular shape. And if you work
your way through it you will see it does exactly what is needed.
You clearly haven't understood it because you get the wrong results
in your examples. The shape it uses is a map-sized rectangle. Both
the GUI and the map/memory use the same basic context.

As you say there is a second "shape" that may be needed to handle
isometric - if you choose to work in an isometric coordinate space
that skews things relative to the target memory or GUI. You should
work out the wrapping conditions for this shape and what it looks
like in iso coordinates and plug them into an iso algorithm similar to
the unnormalize one. The shape will be a map-sized isometric rhomboid
or paralleogram which is what GUI rectangular coordinates project to
in iso.

It doesn't look like we need any more shapes at the moment, so there
is no point in worrying about the intractable theoretical problem
just yet :-).

But here you need to reset. You really don't want to map points into
an arbitrary sized shape. This really is confusing two operations, the
unnormalizing or transformation, and the clipping that will determine
if after transforming, it is visible in the particular sized GUI
window, or lies outside of this in some other part of GUI space.

The "shapes" are of fixed size defined by the fact that they
include a complete set of unique coordinates which is useful to
think of as a N(*,*) set. Don't confuse yourself by trying  to
figure out what the *,* means - it is just a label, not geek bits.

Incidentally the fact that such sets include all coordinates just
once, means you don't have to worry about the multiple image problem
of having the same thing appear at multiple places simultaneously.

But what you really want to do is find the value of your point inside
the shape that is offset from some useful point like a GUI window
origin. So apply the wrapping operation (don't worry about some
impossible non-wrapped example till you need it) until you come up
with a point that "wraps" into the right shape.

You may have to be clever to figure out just how you need to represent
this wrapping or unwrapping algorithm. It is actually the same thing.
If you feed in (0,0) for (x0,y0) for the rectangular case this should
be clear, as it reduces cleanly to the simple normalize we have become
accustomed to. When you work out the (un)normalize_iso_pos() they
should have similar relationships that you can use to check.

If you used an iso shape for the simple rectangular case, then it
wouldn't be useful for the sort of memory access things that the
regular normalize gets used for or the rectangular GUI requirements.

But that is perfectly fine. You use the right shape for the end use
you need at the moment. Using the wrong one doesn't say the idea is
bad, just that you haven't correctly understood it or applied it.

Now be clever. Don't define some weird "regular" space that includes
all of reality, so you can loop over it hunting for the point you need.
Figure out how to work within the right space, and do your algorithms
there, transforming back to GUI or array coordinates when you are
done if further things are needed like clipping.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

FYI:

Note, if I were trying to "wrap" a point into a shape defined by the
parallelogram below, and wasn't quite clever enough figure out how to
wrap in parallelogram coordinates, I might be just as happy to find
the point in a pure rectangular set whose relationship to the final
parallelogram shape was clearly understood. So if I came up with
a point at "1" (somewhere in the triangular non-overlapping bit),
after doing my simple unnormalize, I would know that I needed to do a
final operation to come up with point 2 to complete the unnormalization.

      /        /
    -+--------+-
    /|       /|
   /2|      /1|
 -+--+-----+--+-

One could just as easily choose the parallelogram form to store the
map tile data. This would require the current normalize_map_pos() to
use such an algorithm to return "normal" coordinates in this admittedly
abnormal programming model.

Of course, this is half way to the iso case, right?

Also note that the rectangular does *not* correspond to your "regular"
coordinates for this system. Regular coordinates would have at least
two extra triangles of data in the way you like to do things. The
rectangle is a proper N space object and is useful because of this.
Your regular shape here is not, and is correspondingly useless for
any of these operations.