[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets version 2

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets version 2
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:37:41 -0400

Raimar Falke wrote:

> Ok here the cleaned up patch for official submission. This patch does:
>  - removes the sent field of struct tile (AFAI see this was intended
>  to solve a similar problem and it now obsolete)
>  - adds a new server-only bit vector in struct tile: changed
>  - if the server tries to sent a tile_info packet it is checked if
>  this tile has changed since last sent for this player
>  - if ther server has sent a tile_info packet the corresponding bit in
>  the changed field is cleared
>  - settler.c changes the special field calculates some stuff and
>  reverts these changes. Such changes aren't user/client visible and
>  have from now on to be done with the base_* methods.

Everything looks OK.  However:

- In savegame.c when the terrain is loaded from the savegame, an initial
glance would make one think that map_set_terrain should be used here instead
of manually setting the terrain and marking the tile as changed.  Of course,
this would not work - a comment to this effect would be nice IMO.

- It is difficult to verify that you've picked up every place that changes
the tile information.  Thus although the patch itself looks good, it is
difficult to verify that it is complete/correct.  I'll take a deeper look at
this later today.

jason