[Freeciv-Dev] Re: L10n: get_nation_name - /only/ used as an attribute?

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: L10n: get_nation_name - /only/ used as an attribute?
From: Sini Ruohomaa <s1071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:43:36 +0200 (CEST)

> I have no hard opinion about this. The question is: does the player
> choose to be "The Scottish ruler" or does the player choose to "Rule
> the Scots".

I think ruling the Scots is safest, since at least I have a harder time
thinking of situations where you have to give some inconvenient
translation of that, while I can come up with various little problems
concerning adjectives and 'adjectifying' nationalities. If you need to
start hacking translations in the first place, it helps tremendously if
there's fewer contexts to consider.

Adjectives are a bit icky at times. There's languages where the two
'Scottish' in "The Scottish ruler" and in "The Scottish ship" might look
different (war of the sexes again - if the ship were a 'he' and the ruler
a 'it', the language might use words like Fot and Fon to mean "Scottish"
in front of the two different words; so if their nouns happened to look
like English, the two would be translated to "Fot ruler" and "Fon ship").

--Sini Ruohomaa